Air is free

Larry Fine

Country flag
It's amazing how much better the bike rides with the proper air pressure in the tires. :frontmoto

Speaking of tires, I'm about to have a pair of Avon AM26 Roadriders mounted and balanced. I already have the front, and the rear is "in transit."

BeachedSquirrel

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I have new tires sitting at the house ready to be mounted and balanced for my Sportster. Can't wait to see how it handles with some new tread.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I rode my last rear tire past it's safe tread wear limit by about 500 miles. I was amazed at how much better it was with a new tire of the same make and model. I'll never do that again.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I have my front wheel off right now for a new tire mounting. It's amazing how a new front tire makes you feel bullet proof as you go into a turn.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
I mounted and static balanced my tires for years but for the last few years I have let the pros have at it. What a difference when tubeless tires came along! Could really work up a sweat wrestling a tubed tire with tire irons. Breaking the bead on a tubless was easy by laying the bike wheel down and easing my truck wheel over the edge of the bike tire close to the rim then working the tire off and on by hand. That became a problem with the twin rotors, could not lay the wheel flat on the ground unless I removed one rotor. Not worth the extra effort unless I had no other option.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Wheels and new tires are at the shop.

It's amazing how a new front tire makes you feel bullet proof as you go into a turn.
Please don't! New tires are slick, even when mold release agents aren't used. It takes about 100 miles of tire-warming riding (accelerating and braking) to get them warm enough to begin breaking in. A single long ride is much more valuable than several shorter rides in getting tires warm. Then, you should add to your lean angle a bit at a time so you're partially on scrubbed-in tire surface as you're still scrubbing in virgin territory.

I've been reading up on this.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I mounted and static balanced my tires for years but for the last few years I have let the pros have at it. What a difference when tubeless tires came along! Could really work up a sweat wrestling a tubed tire with tire irons. Breaking the bead on a tubless was easy by laying the bike wheel down and easing my truck wheel over the edge of the bike tire close to the rim then working the tire off and on by hand. That became a problem with the twin rotors, could not lay the wheel flat on the ground unless I removed one rotor. Not worth the extra effort unless I had no other option.
I do my own tires because I don't trust anyone else. I have a real bead breaker and proper tire irons. I've never had any difficulty changing motorcycle tires, with or without tubes.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Wheels and new tires are at the shop.

Please don't! New tires are slick, even when mold release agents aren't used. It takes about 100 miles of tire-warming riding (accelerating and braking) to get them warm enough to begin breaking in. A single long ride is much more valuable than several shorter rides in getting tires warm. Then, you should add to your lean angle a bit at a time so you're partially on scrubbed-in tire surface as you're still scrubbing in virgin territory.

I've been reading up on this.

This isn't my first rodeo Larry. A new tire (one with a couple hundred mile) is better than the one with 12,000 mile on it that I currently have on.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Just found the oddest thing with my rear tyre - it was a slightly old stock item (Conti Blitz) that was well stored, so after careful inspection I fitted it last year. It was fine during the summer, but when the weather turned colder I started to feel a slight handling oddity when tipping into turns - exactly like loose swingarm or wheel bearings.
Nope, nothing worn I could find. Went over the thing from front to back, and fitted another wheel with new tyre to the front anyway, as the front was about half worn. The new tyre on the front helped, but the wriggle was still there.
By this time the rear was half-worn anyway, so I was beginning to suspect that was the cause, even though it looked perfect and still maintained its profile. With all the bendy roads around here, my tyres never get worn in the middle - they're always worn uniformly across the tread.
Last week I discovered that if I gave the bike some welly around the roads for at least five miles and got the rubber up to temperature, the handling was restored to normal - that odd wriggle totally disappeared.
Looks as though the tyre has gone off and needs to be warmed up a bit to work properly.

"I wasn't riding aggressively or speeding, officer; I was just getting my tyres up to temp."

I'll take that wheel off and keep the rest of the mileage in that tyre for the summer, wear it out then.

Larry Fine

Country flag
It finally stopped raining, so I was able to put the wheels on and take a first ride today. The bike seemed a bit squirrely at first, but I soon realized that it was me having to get used to riding on properly-profiled tires again. Overall, I'm pleased with the new shoes, and will enjoy them more as they get scrubbed in and warmed up.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Well, I managed to put over 100 miles on the bike today, thanks to the great weather (60-65 deg and mostly sunny). I didn't have the lowers on, nor did I even need my gloves. :frontmoto

The road was single-lane and curvy, speed limits 35 to 55, though I reached around 70. The bike begins leaning easily, and feels firm and stable throughout. So far, so good. :clap

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I got my wheel/tire yesterday... I've been sick for the last week, so I missed out on some good 50's to 60's riding weather in January. I hope to get the wheel on tomorrow and then I can let the good times roll!