Cutting/ trimming lower fairings

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
My fairing lowers are designed for a Kawasaki KZ900- KZ1000 but according to the Vetter application pages they should fit my GS1000G. They sorta do- but they will definitely need some work done first. Also, I don't really like the textured plastic piece that covers the carbs and restricts cooling air flow to the cylinder heads so I want to cut that off too.

The only tool that I can think of to make the cut is a Dremil drill with a small diameter wheel. Even at that, I'm not too confident that I can make a nice looking continuous curved cut, so I'll try an inch out from my final cut and take it from there.

I guess I could also use a file and some sandpaper on the final edge.

Any help would be appreciated.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
I forget... which fairing are they for: I to IV or V? I have been looking for a pair of those that have the side cover extension but I haven't had any luck. I also have some I to IV's and a V with shorter and without the side cover extensions that I could cut to your dimensions for you. Are you willing to trade? You would need to paint them to match your fairing...

For a GoldWing, I don't need to worry too much about engine cooling as the engine is a bit lower than the lowers.

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Hey Brian,

They are purportedly "Type 3", for Vetter 4. I would gladly trade for a pair of known correct ones (assuming these are not) for my '80 Suzuki GS10000G. The lowers I had on my '80GS850G had no side extentions but I may have bought them after they were modified. Here's a crappy picture, can take better ones. There's a pair of "3s" on Ebay but the guy wants 175.00 + 12 bucks shipping and they are the wrong color. But again, these may be uncut "3s" anyway, thus my post about how to cut them and what tool to use...

V4_LOWERS.jpg

Mickeymoe

Grasshopper
Yea Mike, the stuff cuts pretty easily. I used a Dremil tool with a cuttoff wheel at the highest speed. It did a nice cut and the edges the melted just broke right off at the cut line. I little working with a file and sandpaper, followed by a black paint pen and they look factory!