First ride with the trailer done

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
Finally finished my trailer hitch and wiring for my single wheel trailer on my suzuki gs850g. Took a guick spin around the block last night and no problems, on to the full testing before using it for long distances.
20160514_071328.jpg

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I see you have a trailer tag on it. My State (Alabama) only requires trailer tags on trailers designed to be pulled by cars and trucks. When I went to register and tag my trailer the guy that went out to inspect it told me I didn’t need a tag for it because it was designed to be pulled by a Motorcycle which is not listed as needing to be registered or have a tag in the Code of Alabama. I asked if I should move my tag from the bike to the trailer when I was pulling it so it could be seen from behind. He said that a motorcycle pulling a trailer with just one wheel would be so rare an event that I would be easily recognized if they were looking for me for whatever reason. I've used mine for several years and have never had any issues with the Police that see me. Once I came out of a Wal-Mart and found a Policeman looking it over. It turned out he had a Motorcycle as well and just wanted to see my hitch and ask how the bike handled while pulling it.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
I didn't move my tag, merely a case of paranoia, the bikes tag stayed and I blacked it out. In Ohio all trailers need a tag and sadly they only have regular sized tags for trailers so its easier to see.

GS850_Mike

Learning the Ropes
Here is a picture of the hitch (more trailer side than anything). The trailer was originally designed for my busa. On the busa it mount to spools that are in the hollow axle. With the 850 I had to move it back but instead of a complete redo I kept the "yoke" and just let the trailer sit back a little.
As for lighting I am a strong believer in the k.i.s.s. method, as such I used two simple led strips on the top corners of the box as combined turn and brake.
20160515_115546.jpg