Goldwings - Looking for info and good forums

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Hey,

I might have a chance to buy 1 of 2 '182 Goldwings (no real info yet) if I like them and can afford one. One apparently has a tow-pac style kit on it. I don't know if they are naked, dressed or partially dress yet.

So if anyone can link some good forums for early 80's wings I'd appreciate it - as well as any personal thoughts on the bikes.

Any preferences of vetterized vs. honda-ized dressed wings from this era? Obviously this is a vetter forum, but just wondering your thoughts.

Later
Bob

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Looking for GoldWing Forums for the old Wings? My faves in order are..

One of the best for keeping the old girls on the road on a budget: http://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/

If you like to customize and shed some skin: http://ngwclub.com/forum/index.php

All GoldWings are discussed but some members tend to forget that the 1000's and 1100's are also GoldWings and that is why it isn't higher on my list; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/ There is a reason this is the #1 GoldWing Forum when you Google "GoldWing Forum".

Manuals, forums, tutorials, how to's: http://goldwingdocs.com/

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Vetter fairings have more style than Honda ones, in my opinion.

Mine too, but I am soon getting a Honda-line fairing. Probably going to keep the Vetter out front, but who knows for sure. The Vetter fairing is a lot easy maintenance wise to remove/replace.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Not seen in person yet. No idea about running condition or other issues but apparently this 82 is $3500 including the $2800 towpac kit. 44k miles - Sounds like a deal...

Wing1.jpg

Wing2Mileage.jpg

roncar

Not seen in person yet. No idea about running condition or other issues but apparently this 82 is $3500 including the $2800 towpac kit. 44k miles - Sounds like a deal...
IMO, IF:
1. you wanted the towpac kit (otherwise it has minimal value)
2. all maintenance is up to date, ie tires good, battery good, everything works
3. the bike is ready to ride, cross country if desired
4. clear hassle free title

then it might be worth that. If it has been sitting for a while and needs work, I'd be low-balling him or looking elsewhere (assuming you are comfortable doing the required maintenance/repairs.) Title problems, a parts bike.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
1 Future use or resale of towpac is a bonus - Apparently it's new
2 Friend facebook'ed me more photos and said it needs a battery/charge for sure. Not sure about other maintenance yet. NOT RIDEN IN 5 YEARS STORED IN A GARAGE.
3 It would be more comfy than my maxim (in pieces) and beefier than my Burgman 400 Scooter
4 NO desire to buy a title-less bike.

I can/will do basic maintenance myself, but I really don't want a project bike.

th_wing3radio.jpg

th_wing4side.jpg
th_wing6otherside.jpg

Last edited:

roncar

...NOT RIDEN IN 5 YEARS STORED IN A GARAGE...
I can/will do basic maintenance myself, but I really don't want a project bike.
Then this is probably NOT the bike for you, and not for me at that price.) Sitting for 5 years, there is no telling what will need to be done until you get into it. Rubber parts, battery, tires, seals, electronic parts, critter damage, etc....

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Yeah, that 5 year mark is a bit of a mystery. I got my XS11 and it had been sitting, and yes it turned into a major project. But I was looking for one.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
I passed today and probably won't go back for it.

Very hard to start eventually - Old gas, sticky carbs, leaky carbs, very stiff choke cable.
Other than tires and replacement seat everything looked original included the rubber brake lines.

It might be a runner after carb cleaning, but I don't really want a project bike/moneypit . I already have one of those.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Without the tow-pac, offer him $500. Send the carbs to Pistol Pete's and let him do his magic on the carbs and for $1000, you have a bike that will run for another 25 years. It just depends on what you would want to do to it but not at the price he is asking.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
Without the tow-pac, offer him $500. Send the carbs to Pistol Pete's and let him do his magic on the carbs and for $1000, you have a bike that will run for another 25 years. It just depends on what you would want to do to it but not at the price he is asking.

$500 Carb job? OUCH I'm "project-poor" when it comes to my bikes :(

I really wasn't looking forward to making another bike road ready (to be expected for the age).
It will need:
Carbs cleaned, rebuilt, etc
New tires
New brake lines (factory original lines still on the bike)
Minor fiberglass repair to the trunk (never done that before) - Or start with duct tape on the inside for awhile
Fluid changes (expected)
Who knows how much rubber is rotted after sitting for 5 years with gas in the tank and carbs.

Beyond that, it would be nice to have a wing...

roncar

...I don't really want a project bike/moneypit . I already have one of those.
Pretty much says it all. A bike (any bike) that has been sitting for a while will be a project to get back on the road. Like I said, if it needed NOTHING, probably not a bad price but...
It will need:
Carbs cleaned, rebuilt, etc
New tires
New brake lines (factory original lines still on the bike)
Minor fiberglass repair to the trunk (never done that before) - Or start with duct tape on the inside for awhile
Fluid changes (expected)
Who knows how much rubber is rotted after sitting for 5 years with gas in the tank and carbs.
That's probably close to $1k in parts if you did the work yourself. Plus whatever else is found while it's being gone through. This makes a bike that's been sitting not worth a lot, but some sellers seem to think a project demands as much as one that is ready to ride.

If you still want one, try to find one that is local and needs nothing (ie. ready to ride.) Without a tour pac, should be much cheaper than his asking price on this one (I'd say $1.5 to 2.5K ready to roll, depending....)

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
It's a same-day-trip if leave early in the AM.

Sounds to be in better condition. Still sounds like carbs need work and obviously fork seals and probably timing belt.

Is it actually worth the full asking price of $1900?

P.S. Never used foot/heel yet so I'd probably switch back or have to learn fast :)

Last edited:

roncar

Carbs are a funny thing. These bikes like to be ridden. Sitting is not good. I've seen them recover by just being used or a quick cleaning of the jets. Hard to say from here.:(

Fork seals are not expensive. But they can be a task. Again don't know until you get in there.:(

Is it worth the asking price? That depends on lots of things especially you.;) KBB shows trade-in @ $1535 and retail @ $3030. I don't go strictly by KBB (too many variables) but they give a starting point on value. General consensus is to expect to have ~$2500 invested. IE if you buy for $500, expect to put $2000 into it. At $1900 expect another $600. My average runs much lower than that, but I'm a cheep b4$74rd, so your results may vary.;)

I think it's worthy of consideration, but I have never seen it, nor do I know more than what is in the ad.

Metal_Bob

Learning the Ropes
OK different Wing to discuss from Craigslist - 1980 GL1100 FULL Vetter dressed and an attached sidecar (Could take mom for a few rides and take it off).

What's that type of setup worth? (I suck at making fair best offers especially in my favor) - Assuming you want the side car - I definitely like it with VETTER package

th_SidecarWing.jpg
th_sidecar2.jpg
th_sidecar4.jpg
th_sidecar3.jpg

SIDECAR RIG - 1980 HONDA GOLDWING 1100 CC- 4 Cyl. 19,000 MILES, GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT
DRESSED, SHIELD, BAGS AND BOX - CLEAN- NEW TIRES, NEW STARTER, RUSSIAN METAL SIDECAR RIG PROFESSIONALLY SET UP BY ONE OF THE FOREMOST SIDECAR RIGGING PROFESSIONALS- PERFECTLY BALANCED

WILL NOT SEPARATE ! $ 3700.00 OR BEST OFFER
LEAVE MESSAGE WILL RETURN CAL​

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
It's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. I have about $3000 invested in my setup. Look up the bluebook on the bike and add $1000 for the side car, That should give you some kind of idea what the units worth.