Hello from Alabama

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Just finished installing a Kawasaki Vetter Windjammer Fairing on my 2006 Honda VLX 600. I designed and fabricated a bracket for the fairing. I also made the windshield from Lexan. Due to the design of the VLX 600 the windshield is only 12 1/2 inches tall. The top of the windshield is level with my mouth when I'm sitting on it. It's perfect for me. The glass shop sold me an odd size left over peace just large enough for the windshield for $14.

A little about me. My Dad gave me my first set of tools when I was 12. He took note of my natural mechanical talents and turned me loose by bringing home all manner of junk lawn mowers, bicycles, and anything else he found free for the taking. Soon people were buying stuff I fixed and bringing me stuff to be fixed. A year later I was making more money than my Dad. When I entered High School I had the option of going to trade school as well at no cost. I signed up for the Machine Shop class because I wanted to be able to make parts for stuff that was no longer available. I became a very good machinist as a result. A Shipyard recruited me and so I started work as an Inside Machinist at that Shipyard immediately after graduation. When I was 24 the Shipyard shut down (caused by the economic policies of Jimmy Carter) and so I joined the US Navy. I became a Gas Turbine Systems Technician. I advanced rapidly and made 1st Class Petty Officer (E-6) after only 4 years. When my enlistment was up 2 years later if I had re-enlisted I would have been advanced to Chief Petty Officer (E-7). 2 Army Majors from the Anniston Army Depot came on the Ship I was on 2 weeks before my enlistment was up and offered me a position in the M1 Abrams Tank Program as they needed people with Gas Turbine engine experience. I stayed there for 19 years and then retired with 25 years of military service. I'm currently in Active Reserve Status and provide consulting services designing upgrades of components and sourcing of replacement parts when original parts from the contracted suppler are no longer available.
Here are a couple of pictures of my bike with it's Windjammer Fairing and the bracket I fabricated for it.
119xqhf.jpg

64ovhl.jpg

259deea.jpg

2hpkrjm.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum from PA Shipmate!

I seriously considered cross-rating from AD to GSM when I was an AD2, but then I picked up AD1 and decided I'd rather work on aircraft engines on top of the ship instead of inside the ship! :D

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Scott! Its always cool to see these vintage fairings mounted on newer bikes. You did a fine job on the morning. Sounds like you had a great run in the Military. Thank you for your service!

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Welcome to the forum from PA Shipmate!

I seriously considered cross-rating from AD to GSM when I was an AD2, but then I picked up AD1 and decided I'd rather work on aircraft engines on top of the ship instead of inside the ship! :D
After Boot Camp I got my first orders and discovered (to my horror) that my first school was Basic Electricity and Electronics and my rate was GSE- Fireman (E-3). I found the Master Chief and commented that there must be some mistake because I was a Mechanic/Machinist and had no experience in electronics. The Master Chief told me that I was already an experienced Mechanic and sending me to mechanic schools would be a waste of time for both me and the Navy. He told me they needed people that could "Do it All" so off to BE&E I went. To my surprise I excelled and passed at the top of my class. I went on to attend all GSE schools the navy had. When I finished an on-board Marine Engineering correspondence course and earned a bachelors degree I was Frocked to First Class Petty Officer after only 4 years. They also dropped the E classification so I became a GS1. The Navy was really upset with me when I went over to the Army. The Navy offered me Chief Petty officer whereas The Army offered me an position as an Engineer in the M1 Abrams Tank Program. Even better was no more Sea Duty!

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I can relate to sea duty... out of 20 years in the navy, I have 1 year 2 months 16 days on my sea counter. I was allergic to the salt spray.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
So, it's safe to assume you know what you're doing with a spanner, then? :)
Welcome from Ireland.
My Dad gave me my first set of tools on my 12th birthday. He recognized my mechanical talents. Those tools were not cheap. He took out a loan and purchased Craftsman tools. I still have most of them. The few that were lost over the years I replaced so I still have that full set of Craftsman tools.