Hello from the Bronx

John S

Grasshopper
Hi. New member here. Ive recently added a windjammer v, vetter sound, trunk and bags to my 1991 sportster and look forward to learning more about vetter products. Hoping to find some hippo hands for the collection before the weather turns too far.
2095AD83-A931-4F3F-890F-069A0F2693DF.jpeg

cmyoch

Grasshopper
Welcome aboard. I just joined as well.

I just mentioned today about mounting my Vindicator to my Sportster. Did you fabricate your own mounting bracket?

John S

Grasshopper
When i bought the luggage it came with a bracket for a honda, cx500 i think. The one with an opposed v twin. We were able to make that work by cutting off the little half round pieces that mate to the downtubes and moving them to line up with the sportsters. Then welded in a strap to line up with the holes on the frame where an engine guard would be bolted. Has held up for 4k so far

John S

Grasshopper
Just read your post. Your 84’ has an identical frame to my 91 and the 35mm front end should have even more clearance than my 39mm. It went together pretty easily and there is plenty of clearance to just leave the whole headlight assembled behind the fairing. If you have any local indy that does a lot of older bikes a or choppers im sure theyd help you alter another bracket to work

cmyoch

Grasshopper
I have a CB750 bracket that came with my fairing. I was going’s to toss it out but I’ll now hang on to it to see about making it work. Did you have any issues getting the fairing angle correct? I assume there was a lot of going back and forth.

John S

Grasshopper
I just took a look online at brackets for the cx500 and thats definitely not what i started with. Mine looked more like what im seeing advertised for a kz1000. And looking at my bracket again i remembered we didnt add a cross bar, we just beefed up the existing one. Didnt have too much trouble with angle. Im tunning a turtle tank off a 69 sportster and the bracket i got put it in roughly the right place to clear everything while keeping stock guages. I did end up cutting a spacer out of scrap phenolic under each side 1” wide and tapering from 1” to 1/4” thick to get the angle perfect. Kind of hard to get a pic with the lowers on but hope this helps
82937623-108F-4460-B03D-C5D35277E6AD.jpeg

John S

Grasshopper
If you still have the stock buckhorn handlebars you might have issues running a radio enclosure. I have similar height bars with very little pullback and my brake master contacts the radio at full lock

cmyoch

Grasshopper
I installed a different handlebar off of another model bike. It's about the same height but without the buckhorn pullback. I also ditched the double gauges for a single speedometer. Other than that, it is pretty well a stock setup up front. I have a radio pod for my Vindicator but no radio for it. I'd probably ride without the radio for a while.
IMG_20170626_193945163_HDR.jpg
XLH (2).jpg

John S

Grasshopper
nice looking ironhead. your setup looks like it should clear everything fine as long as that axed tank isnt too wide as long as that fits between the sides of the fairing youre good to go. looking at a cb750 bracket on ebay it looks like it might be harder to make work there a kz1000 bracket up on ebay now for 50 or best offer that might make an easier starting point, basically just moving the two tabs to line up with the down tubes

cmyoch

Grasshopper
When I get home from work today, I'll look at that CB750 bracket closer. It's here and it's free. If I can't do anything with it, I'll grab a different one to play with.

I saw on the craigvetter.com site that there is a company mentioned in CA that has the tooling to make Harley brackets. I may look into that as well.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Welcome to the forum John! Super cool job on the Vetterizing your Harley, love it. Whats crazy is, I am seeing more and more people putting Vetter goodies on more modern bikes. This is very cool.

If you need anything or have an forum requests or issues feel free to PM me or start a thread.

Enjoy!

John S

Grasshopper
Welcome to the forum John! Super cool job on the Vetterizing your Harley, love it. Whats crazy is, I am seeing more and more people putting Vetter goodies on more modern bikes. This is very cool.

If you need anything or have an forum requests or issues feel free to PM me or start a thread.

Enjoy!

Thanks, its not everyday my 28 year old bike gets called modern. Im curious if vetter actually offered mounts for sportsters. My frame starts in 1982 so i think the company was sold by then but 57-78 frames and 79-81 should have been common enough to warrant a frame