Hello from Warwickshire, England

Andy52

Grasshopper
Hello

I'm from Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England.

I wanted a fully-dressed Honda Goldwing GL1100 but having owned an undressed GL1100 and found it to be too heavy, I decided to try and create a smaller and lighter substitute. I chose a Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) as a starting point, hoping that the rubber-mounted engine would provide the vibe-free ride of a flat-four. It also has shaft drive and under-seat fuel tank for a low C of G, like the 'wing. The one I bought had no original bodywork so it was ideal for re-dressing.

I got a Windjammer with a broken screen on eBay very cheaply, then another rather tatty one with a complete screen for just £1 - Vetters are not very sought after in the UK at present! I cut redundant bits off the PC800 front subframe and welded on brackets to support the fairing. Experimenting on the second Vetter I found that I had to cut away part of the inner shell to clear the subframe, the thermostat housing and instrument cluster. In fact I cut away more than necessary and plastic-welded as much as I could back on again. I intended to replace it with the better Windjammer once experimentation was complete, but it works as it is for now.

I cut the original screen down in stages as I didn't like looking through it. When I could just see over the top it worked quite well, but there was some turbulence, so I used the top of the screen to make a spoiler. I also experimented with vent holes to try to stop exhaust fumes from being sucked into the low pressure area behind the screen - they work quite well. All this left the screen with a few cracks, so I bought a new replacement and carefully replicated the modifications, using an electric jig saw.

The panniers (saddle bags) are by the UK company Craven from a similar date as the Windjammer. They are probably a prototype pair for police use as they came off an old police BMW, and are not a standard Craven design. Again found on eBay, as was the Rickman top box. The bike does look like a rather a lash-up, but a paint job might improve it a bit. I've used it for 2 years now and love riding it. It's a bit lighter than a GL1100, and it goes, stops and handles much better, though the engine is by no means vibe-free.

Andy

Vetter-PC800-2013-01.jpg

Vetter-PC800-2017-01.jpg
Vetter-PC800-2017-02.jpg
Vetter-PC800-2017-03.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! I like the look and what you did with the windscreen. Have you considered adding lowers?

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. I was just over to London and Devon and had a great time. Drove a car, but the roads would be so nice on a bike. Nice looking bike you have. Mike

Andy52

Grasshopper
Welcome to the forum! I like the look and what you did with the windscreen. Have you considered adding lowers?
Thanks Brian. I did try adding lowers, but they restricted the airflow round the engine so that the front of the seat got very hot from the rear exhaust downpipe of the v-twin engine, so I took them off again. If I can find a way of solving this problem I might put them on again. I like the fully faired look.
Andy

Andy52

Grasshopper
Welcome to the forum. I was just over to London and Devon and had a great time. Drove a car, but the roads would be so nice on a bike. Nice looking bike you have. Mike
Thanks Mike. The photos probably make it look better than it is!

Farside

Grasshopper
Country flag
Another Vetter lives!
They are returning, slowly but surely.
The DIY Laminar Lip is excellent, been meaning to do similar with mine, as the PO was a bit short in the arris.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
A belated welcome - I've only just found your original post because I was looking up laminar lips and diy screens.
I'm looking at Ali Express and see quite a few small to middleweight simple scooter screens that look very close to the size of the Vetter blade, and some of them are dirt cheap.