K&G Saddlebags

Larry Fine

Country flag
Oh, it happened, all right:

150628_001.jpg 150628_010.jpg 150628_009.jpg 150628_004.jpg 150628_005.jpg

Larry Fine

Country flag
I held the mount to my frame, and found that the oil cooler fits through the "window" of the mount and the upper "shoes" meet the frame at the right angle and spacing. However, while the lower "shoes" are also spaced and angled to meet the frame correctly, the exhaust pipes prevent them from reaching the frame by over an inch.

That means I'd have to butcher the lower horizontal section of the mount, which I'm sure I won't do. I'd rather see the mount applied to the bike for which it was made. I'm happy with the Rooster I have anyway, and I have a spare one, so I guess I'll stick with it for now. So, that leaves the trunk and saddlebags for the next experiment.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
KG made a great line of universal gear that could fit just about any bike. I've been looking for a decent backrest to go with my luggage rack for the 1200: the wife needs her comfort! Seems everything I find on fleebay is torn and tattered or gold-plated.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Mounted and test-driven. A steering wobble can develop when coasting hands-free, but I've had that with weight on the rear rack.

"Does this luggage make my ass look big?"

150630_006.jpg 150630_003.jpg 150630_004.jpg 150630_005.jpg 150630_007.jpg

Larry Fine

Country flag
I mentioned my key numbers in the calling-all-keys sticky thread. I wonder if I should move this recent stuff to a new thread of its own?

John W

Grasshopper
If you look at the pictures of the bags from behind they look bulky and wide. Then looked at the picture from the top and thought, sheesh, barely holds a cardboard of milk. lol

Larry Fine

Country flag
John, I know what you mean, but the bags are rather spacious. I'll take a pic of something familiar in one for scale.

Thanx, Brian!

John W

Grasshopper
Kinda how the bags on my 1100 GW look. Not much if you look at them, but can hold a nice bit, if loaded right.

Larry Fine

Country flag
True, John.

I rode on the interstate a bit today, and noticed that the head-shake doesn't happen at speeds above around 60 mph.

John W

Grasshopper
Pulled my bike to 160 kph yesterday, should be around 150 kph for real, and thats about 100 mph. Didnt feel a thing. Didn't have much weight in the bags though.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Alien, that looks great. Makes me want to try harder to mount the WJ5 in place of the Rooster. I just have to find out if the bracket will work safely with the lower cross-bars cut out to clear the two center exhaust pipes.

How did you connect your lighting? On mine, I made the reds on the bags extra taillights, and the reds on the trunk extra high-mounted brake lights. I can swap the connections in seconds with the tap connectors I used.

I'm considering swapping the connections for the reds, because the trunk lights wrap around the sides like the turn signals for added side visibility, but I like the idea of high-mounted brake lights for less rear-ending.,

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Larry, the lights in the bags and trunk are taillights only; by the way, I did not connect them that way, my Dad did back in 1982! There is a lot of red light back there either way; sadly with some inattentive drivers, the light of a nuclear explosion might not be enough to keep them from rear ending us.