Mable...A SOHC Bagger

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
I guess I've been spoiled by owning a bagger for the last 15 years or so. I really didn't think having a naked bike would be a big deal but it seems that wind-blast with my garbage shoulder is no bueno anymore. So being a fab kinda guy I decided that it would be more fun to modify Mable, my 1978 CB750K, rather than looking for a wing or the such. I got a great deal on a Windjammer SS for my bike (free + shipping) and started the change.

20161205_150122_zpsw7g4qoen.jpeg

To date I've added forward controls to improve comfort, I like the cruiser riding position vs the upright position of the day. Used an early rear fender to "hug" the tire better and lowered the rear 1 inch. I've recently changed my gearing to put her at 4,200-4,500 rpms running at 75 mph or so to keep the "buzz" out of the bike. She has no issues running at 6,000+ and will do it all day but is smooth as butter under 5,000 rpms and if I need motivation I can drop to 3rd and launch. Today I bought a new set of ABS bags off flee-bay that are on the smaller side so I can keep the 4 into 4 exhaust. They were cheap and I will see if they will hold what I need to carry. I also bought a used 1976 CB750A front fender, it covers the front tire a little better and has the whale tail at the bottom of the fender. I will be working on it soon and it will be painted the same as the tank and side covers. Thats all for now...more to come.

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
The big brown truck delivered my hard bags that I ordered the other day and I spent the afternoon mounting them. I need to make better brackets and add a lower mount to them but they worked out pretty good for $40.00!

20170117_163610_zpshrvm76kj.jpeg

20170117_163754_zpsva1ycvnw.jpg

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
Got the fairing stripped from the CL find and mounted the windshield on Mable with some new vents that I found on ebay for $23.00. You can see the crack from the middle mounting screw hole, I drilled the top to see if it will stop it, if it doesn't I guess I'll have to buy a new one. Both of the windshields I have are not in great shape and have fractures in them, but should work for awhile. While I was at it I picked up some cheap replacement speakers and installed the cycle sound on her too, now I have tunes.

20170127_123403_zpsndtqe5ii.jpg

20170127_123414_zpsg0cdtrv1.jpg

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
Today I got my Ipod to work on the old Clarion in the cycle sound and I have to say that its sounds pretty good for what it is. I also layed a bunch of pavers to keep her out of the water and from sinking in the mud, we flooded in the heavy rains that we had last week...she's all good now.

20170128_141149_zpspt3jjaqi.jpeg

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
In my quest to make Mable a decent long distance driver some things were added today...a waterproof USB charging port and voltage gauge. These old SOHC's are known for having HORRIBLE charging systems that barely keep up with the demands of just the bike, let alone any accessories.

20170208_140559_zpsqvenru6i.jpg

20170208_140634_zpspuevixyl.jpg

I'm happy to report she runs 13.7 volts at cruising speed with EVERYTHING on and charging my phone! :cheer

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
I got my Triple A floorboards today and just HAD to put them on and check them out. I think I can make them operate tomorrow...we'll see.

20170209_150610_zpsrcm3vea3.jpg

20170209_150619_zpsdpfvwa3g.jpg

I got the lowers for a SOHC with the fairing and they wouldn't work with forward controls...well they won't work with floorboards either. I do have a set of lowers for a Goldwing that I got all the Vetter stuff, with a little trimming they will work with the floorboards...another option.

20170209_161332_zps12n6xben.jpg

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
I got busy today and worked on the floorboards, did some cleaning and fab work. I need to make a new brake shaft pivot adapter or find the correct Triple A piece, which I think is impossible to find! My first attempt had the fulcrum point in the wrong place and I don't think I need the factory brake pedal stop, I have another brake pedal to modify. This one works great, I just don't like the way it looks. I got all the linkage working and still need to go on a test ride and fine tune the adjustments...heck I can still use the kicker too. I still need to finish cleaning them up but you get the idea...one step closer.

20170210_172331_zps1xkrz9xg.jpg

20170210_172341_zpss2bxsipz.jpg

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I got busy today and worked on the floorboards, did some cleaning and fab work. I need to make a new brake shaft pivot adapter or find the correct Triple A piece, which I think is impossible to find! My first attempt had the fulcrum point in the wrong place and I don't think I need the factory brake pedal stop, I have another brake pedal to modify. This one works great, I just don't like the way it looks. I got all the linkage working and still need to go on a test ride and fine tune the adjustments...heck I can still use the kicker too. I still need to finish cleaning them up but you get the idea...one step closer.

20170210_172331_zps1xkrz9xg.jpg

20170210_172341_zpss2bxsipz.jpg
Those are so cool! I like heel and toe shifters. That way you don't end up with a scrub marks on the top of your footwear.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Floorboards are a love them/hate them item... Personally I love them and cannot see me owning a bike without them.

Yours cleaned up nice!

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
Went out for a ride between the rain drops today...VERY comfy feet placement now and everything operates flawlessly, I'm likin it. I really need to change the handlebars out for something higher, my hands are just to low. I've already done extended clutch and throttle cables in preparation and I'll get a new brake hose made this coming week.

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
I got the correct brackets for the Vetter bags today (Thanks Marks78) and they won't fit with the 4 into 4's and I don't have the heart to cut them up and make them fit with the exhaust, there just to hard to find and GW brackets are everywhere. So I've decided to cut up the GW brackets and save the SOHC brackets in my parts stash so if I change the exhaust I have them.

I drilled new rear peg mounting holes and moved the mounts forward a bit more than an inch and got the bracing cross bar position figured out. I need to fab a new upper mount at this point but there in the final position as far as I can see. I have 2 inches of clearance between the bag and the exhaust and with the left bag off I can fully open the seat. I think there gunna work, they sit a little high and at an angle, but they don't interfere with driver or passenger where they sit so I'm running with it!

20170213_130824_zps7eyb3mog.jpg

20170213_130846_zps708mql7b.jpg

desert_SOHC

Learning the Ropes
I finished the design for the new tabs for the retrofit of the bag mounts. I will get the steel in the morning and get them made tomorrow, that's the plan anyhow. I finished mock up on the trunk in its intended position. I have to add a tab for the front mounting hoop to bolt to.

20170213_155605_zpsffelwewj.jpg

The front hoop mounting tab has to be used for 2 different trunk mounting positions, I will finish that tomorrow if there is time left. I ran out of light today, but this is how the trunk will be mounted 90% of the time. This will be my next push to get done but I have to finish the bags first.

20170213_173059_zpscmwgnpr3.jpg