More Bass

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I am looking for a way to get more bass out of my Cycle Sound. The stereo I have will push it, the problem is the speakers. It is hard to get the sound I am looking for out of the 4" speakers. Sure I could mount something in a saddlebag or the trunk, but I would rather keep it up front. Any suggestions?

239-1401582698-63e87eff822fd0eacf866438bee4bf25.jpg

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Seems like any place like radio shack,bose would have speakers..might have to get the case and all but take it apart and stick in your casings on the bike. Didn't know a Wing reved that high..1st gear wound out?:D:D;):)

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I often thought about that as well. I figure that the only way to really get some more bass would be to mount something in the luggage or trunk. Of course bass needs a crossover and power. A small amp, a 6 inch wolfer and a passive crossover would do the trick. I would go 80 cycles and down, maybe a bit higher, you would have to test it. This may be a fun project to play with.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Didn't know a Wing reved that high..1st gear wound out?:D:D;):)

Naaah, that was fifth gear in cruise mode. Once upon a time if I wanted to accelerate from that speed/rpm I needed to down shift one or two gears to do it... Not since I put my new ignition in. Now I just twist the wick and the next thing I know I am at 5000 rpm and pushing 75-80 :D

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I often thought about that as well. I figure that the only way to really get some more bass would be to mount something in the luggage or trunk. Of course bass needs a crossover and power. A small amp, a 6 inch wolfer and a passive crossover would do the trick. I would go 80 cycles and down, maybe a bit higher, you would have to test it. This may be a fun project to play with.

You lost me at crossover... :confused: I guess I have some researching to do. I already gave up most of my truck by installing a lock box, so maybe I need to just concede the rest of the lower half of it.

Larry Fine

Country flag
I am looking for a way to get more bass out of my Cycle Sound. The stereo I have will push it, the problem is the speakers. It is hard to get the sound I am looking for out of the 4" speakers. Sure I could mount something in a saddlebag or the trunk, but I would rather keep it up front. Any suggestions?

Sorry about not responding sooner.

I enlarged the 4" holes in my Rooster to take 5-1/4" speakers, and used components with the tweeters flanking the radio. (See pix here: http://www.vetterowners.com/threads/rooster-on-a-96-nighthawk-750.485/)

Bass requires moving air, and there are only two ways of getting more: either greater cone area or greater cone travel (excursion, shown as Xmax in speaker specs.)

I don't know if there is enough area in that enclosure to increase to a 5-1/4" woofer, but you may get better bass with a good 4" from places like Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/w...eca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
There is no replacement for displacement!

As far as crossover. This is where your frequency levels cut off. Basically, you don't want highs playing through your sub woofer. The common cutoff for car audio is 80 cycles. Meaning that anything in a song that is above 80 cycles (vocal, symbols, etc) will be cut out of the music. You can have a passive or active crossover. Active needs power, passive does not. Passive I think would be the way to go in a small system like we were speaking.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
So is one woofer enough for the bass or would I need two? I would ideally like to keep the speakers in the cycle sound at 4" and use these as tweeters for the higher freq's. Where the woofer/s would go is undetermined as of yet but after seeing that fairing that had speakers everywhere, I am thinking about almost anything.

I guess that is a nice thing about having spare fairings that are not good enough for use: I can experiment and see what works and what doesn't.