Mounting brackets for windjammer on 85 xj700

Hi all,
New here and always wanted a Windjammer since I saw em as a kid. My current project is a 1985 Yamaha Maxim xj700 that I'm trying to put a Windjammer IV on. Obviously I haven't been able to find a mount for it and wonder if maybe a mount for an xs750 or 650 would work. Or anything close enough to make minor modifications to that would work. Any ideas?

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Welcome to the forum.

Any mount can be made to work. Not knowing what the differences are between the frames are, I would suggest finding a bike that has a similar frame design to keep the modifications to a minimum.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
I've found that the GS850 is as near as damnit a fit on the downtubes of the XJ900. I believe the XJ750 and 900 share a lot of things, possibly including the frame, so even if ou have to slightly modify a GS850/1000 bracket, it will fit without many problems, if I'm right. I would also hazard a guess the downtubes on the 700 Maxim are very close too that.
I have one here for exactly that duty - just not got around to it yet. The only thing that stands in my way is the relocation of the oil cooler, which you probably don't have.