Mounting suggestions welcome XS11 MNS

Rob H

Grasshopper
Here's what I am faced with. Cracks at the forward tube going to foot peg by the shock.
These tubes keep cracking even though I keep little weight on them. They have been welded a few times and since I am planning to take these off to put on another 1100, I'd like to do a better job of mounting them.
A buddy suggested flat stock, but I'd like to keep weight down and if too thin (i.e. aluminum) my questions is will they hold up?
What to do what to do?
CAM00322[1].jpg
CAM00321[1].jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I would shorten the forward tube and mount the bags further forward. The frame looks like it is too far back. Put a smaller piece of round stock inside the forward tube to strengthen it also.

Rob H

Grasshopper
It looks like I'd pick up about 3 inches going forward and still clear the shock. Everything is coming off this bike to go on the Special, so I will have to look closer at it when the time is right. I have air shocks on it and they're a little fatter at the top.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
As Brian says, I'd have a close look at how they're mounted, as mount cracking isn't something I've heard a lot about, so is likely fairly uncommon when done right. Looks to me as if the weight is pivoting on that top mount and vibes are causing the cracks halfway along the brace. If you just put a stronger brace in it might be enough, but it might just crack further along instead.