My Vetter-esk Streamliner (a work in progress)

JeffM

Grasshopper
Hi streamliner fans. I am building a partial streamliner to ride in the Vetter Challenge this Fall at Wendover, Utah.

My mentors have been Craig Vetter, Alan Smith, and Vic Valdez. Thank you gentlemen for much sage advice.

Here is the bike in its current state. The front wheel fairing and aero-windscreen were aquired from Alan (thanks). Of course, the boat tail is my own creation and is my first attempt. I plan to add fiber glassed pink foam to the front of the main bulkhead to smooth out the air between it and I. Also, the underside of the tail will acquire a lower section also constructed of glassed pink foam. Prior to that I plan on finishing the tail structure off with electrics, cargo floor (Yes Craig it will hold 4 shopping bags ;)), and skinning.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

aero5.jpg

aero6.jpg

aero1.jpg

The tail is tied to the motorcycle frame in six locations. It is quite strong, I am able to lift the back of the bike up or push it down and compress the suspension. I believe that the entire tail, as is, weighs around 20+ pounds ( I still need to weigh it).

aero3.jpg

Last edited:

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Wow, that is very cool. I have been reading on Craig's site about Streamlining. I definitely feel the need to do something cool like that.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Nice design. Curious about the pink foam. Any reason you are using the foam instead of just fiberglass mat?

JeffM

Grasshopper
Yesterday I took off all the aero mods and put the bike back to stock. This is a good thing because it means I can now finish the tail off the bike and go riding :D. Updates to follow.

Craig Vetter

Vetter Founder
It is like we are witnessing a living Time Capsule in fairing design. The banner is my 1966 design. Here we are almost 50 years later. Now we have more of a "Open Source" thing happening. I don't have to do it all.

How exciting. So much more to do.

JeffM

Grasshopper
Ok Brian, ask and you shall receive:

The top skins are on temporarily for fit hence the wrinkles. Need to add the sides, change the gearing (15/39 waiting for a master link), tidy up some details then go for a ride :D

I will worry about making it pretty later.

DSCN3604.jpg

DSCN3605.jpg

DSCN3607.jpg

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
What year Ninja is that Jeff? Also, what is your targeted MPG? I am a bit green on the streamlining topic, however eager to learn more.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
That looks promising! I started discussing this with my dad about his Helix and he seemed interested.

I may be turning ahead a few pages, but I was never one to read along...

How will you access the "luggage compartment" and are thinking of covering the lower part of the tail from the mufflers to the license plate: not much to mount to at the bike, so that is why I am wondering.

JeffM

Grasshopper
What year Ninja is that Jeff? Also, what is your targeted MPG? I am a bit green on the streamlining topic, however eager to learn more.

2005. I would be happy to get anything over 80 mpg with regular riding, not hypermiling.

JeffM

Grasshopper
That looks promising! I started discussing this with my dad about his Helix and he seemed interested.

I may be turning ahead a few pages, but I was never one to read along...

How will you access the "luggage compartment" and are thinking of covering the lower part of the tail from the mufflers to the license plate: not much to mount to at the bike, so that is why I am wondering.

Thanks. The luggage area is accessed thru the main bulkhead, behind the seat.

The lower tail has been somewhat a head-scratcher for me. Ideally, I'd like to have a removable fairing that would facilitate fixing a flat if needed.

The problem is to create something that will not scoop a bunch of air aft of the rear tire and being simple to build. I still have a bunch of coroplast so I may take a crack at building the lower area with that. Also, I need to consider how low it can be without hitting the ground getting out of steep driveways and such.

The bottom of the tail, as it is, will be covered and not left open. How aero it will be will have to wait as I am trying to get the bike ready for Craig's Wendover Challenge.

Last edited:

JeffM

Grasshopper
Alan Smith stopped by this morning, with riding buddy Dave, to see how my build was coming along. He was on his way to the Craig's Fuel Challenge at the AMA Vintage Days, Mansfield, Ohio .

Thanks for the advice Alan.

Our bikes:
DSCN3609.jpg

Alan, in the red shirt, with his streamliner and Dave with his Vstrom 650.
DSCN3608.jpg

Last edited: