Picking up some parts this Friday

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I've located some suitable full-size momentary toggle switches in SPST momentary-ON normally-off, these should be perfect for all of the Mp3 player functions: play/pause/stop/back/forward and they'll be easily matched to other full-size toggle switches for power, function switching and up/down volume.
I found a some jeweled red incandescent indicators, a kit of red back-lit analog VU meters for left and right channel with control board, and a hub with Jack's for USB3, USB C, SD and microSD slots. I'll source an Mp3 player, Bluetooth receiver, stereo amp and speakers later. If I go through with this I'll start another thread. I just wanted to update the progress of the original idea here.

I'm guessing this will all cost around $100, there are cheaper in-dash decks available so maybe reinventing the wheel isn't necessary, but it could be good nerdy fun.

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I'm not sure what you mean Larry, I haven't bought any parts yet. I've just been poking around on ebay.

limpy45

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
The Quicksilver headlight may just be a standard automotive rectangular headlight that was popular for many years. MY 79 Ford Fairmont had those. Auto salvage yards may be your best friend on that. Plus, I have a set of Hippo Hands also, but they are a reproduction. Still never used, I tried to attach them to my 99 GL1500 Gold Wing. Sort of fit but not to my liking. $50 + shipping to anyone that can use them.

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I just found this little player, it does it all.
https://share.temu.com/qHfxht8vi4A
I'll probably pick one up at that price.

Screenshot_20230816_204707_Temu.jpg

KGBnut

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
I've heard some really mixed reviews about temu, but for four and a half bucks you are not risking much. My big question is what does this thing output to? It looks too tiny to have any sort of power amp in it, perhaps just a preamp... Do you have to port it into some other radio/receiver to get music out?

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Alan F.

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I have no idea either, even after reading the entire description and specs. If I pick one up I'll post about it.

Otherwise I've had a great time with Temu, sometimes shipping takes longer than I'd have hoped, but far quicker than ebay for less money. I've placed 8 orders so far.