Proper Naming of Images

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Good morning gang!

I wanted to give some pointers on naming your images properly and why it's important.

When I was surfing Google Images for cool Vetter pics I was noticing that I was getting some of our forum images, but not very many. For web search we are doing really good, Vetterowners come up quiet a bit with searching Windjammer, Vetter, etc.

Our image search on Google isn't doing as good. Here are some things we can do improve image ranking on Google Images.

Be specific when naming your images.

I found a image of Brian from his road trip labeled 2472641-129Slayer_zps728c61bc-1.jpg, this doesn't help image ranking because the title is non-decript. Another reason is because he is linking the photos from his photo bucket account.

Consider these points when naming your images.

1. Always use hyphens between words. Example: brian-vetter-road-trip-2014-01.jpg. Now, note that the search will crawl Brian, Vetter, Road, Trip, 2014, and even pull it up somewhere deep in the search for images of Vetter.

2. Be specific to what you want your image to come up as. Example: yamaha-xs1100-vetter-windjammer-black-01.jpg. This would be good for anybody searching for a black Windjammer on a XS1100.

3. If you have a series of photos use the -01 -02 -03 at the tail end of the image name. If it is a single image or you are going to be very descriptive for each image don't worry about this.

4. Keep the name under 30 characters.

5. Do not link your photos from services like Photobucket and Smugmug. Reason: Nothing is more frustrating when we go to a forum to get a bit of wanted information and the where the photo was now reads "Photo Has Been Removed" or "Photo Missing". This typically happens because the person closed the account, or other unknown reasons (death, kids deleted it, angry wife, etc.). We want the information on our forum to remain forever for people to reference. It wont do much good to check out a guide and all the photos are missing. That is one reason why I elected to allow images within our forum. It takes lots more server space, however well worth it.

If anybody has questions or suggestions please let me know.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
The only way I know how to post a picture is thru photobucket.I be pretty computer stupid,no training,took a typing class in'69 and forgot all of it. What ever I do now is just trial and error.I have made more mistakes than what my x said I did.
I know nothing about computers,took me awhile you have to double click some times,all the basic stuff is hard for me to grasp but once I learn it I won't forget.
I don't think I have ever named a picture.
007-25.jpg

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
The only way I know how to post a picture is thru photobucket.I be pretty computer stupid,no training,took a typing class in'69 and forgot all of it. What ever I do now is just trial and error.I have made more mistakes than what my x said I did.
I know nothing about computers,took me awhile you have to double click some times,all the basic stuff is hard for me to grasp but once I learn it I won't forget.
I don't think I have ever named a picture.
007-25.jpg
Maybe I will call this CSX 5319:)

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Good stuff!

I never gave any of that a thought when I was uploading any photos... as everyone can now tell since I was used as an example. :eek:ops: :D

Now I have something to consider when I do it.

Larry Fine

Country flag
Egad! Now we're debating the proper method of stuttering buts! :rolleyes:

What's next? How to punctuate "boo-hoo" properly? :eek:

That should be interesting. ;)