Trunk Tails

Rob H

Grasshopper
Still hunting for those elusive trunk lights. I have three and need the fourth to match. If I can't get close I will have to spring for 4 new, but being the cheap ass that I am, would prefer to match them if possible.
Any help with suppliers would be appreciated.
CAM05060[1].jpg

Rob H

Grasshopper
Thanks for that. I bet those dudes are bright alright!
I found these today after hunting for over an hour:
http://www.maxxima.com/products/product_detail/243/2-12-Stainless-Steel-Security-Flange.html

or these:
http://www.maxxima.com/products/product_detail/468/2-12-Red-Auxiliary-StopTailTurn-Light.html

either of which I think will work with minor grinding to enlarge openings.
Good thing is, there is a local parts house that has them and I can see what I am getting into before
I buy.
Prob end up with 4 new ones though, which is a-ok.
Hey, she's 35 and still sexy....

roncar

I have a 'scrap' trunk with one lens left. This is the older style lights with a metal base, which looks like what you have. Pics can be taken on request.

Rob H

Grasshopper
Ron, that'd be awesome if they match. I'll have to take one apart and photo it later today.
I know the openings are 2 1/4 and mounting holes are 2 3/4 apart.
BTW, you are in the part of the country where I want to be, especially at winter time.

Rob H

Grasshopper
Alright!
Thanks to Roncar, I have a complete set of tail lights, now. Thank you, sir.
Untitled.jpg

Can you tell which one looks newer?
Now, another question regarding the trunk lock. Here's what I got:
CAM00001.jpg

I am missing retaining nut and a tumbler? Another one is sticking out and doesn't have the spring that the other three have. What is my next step with getting this operable?

roncar

Now, another question regarding the trunk lock. Here's what I got:
View attachment 1977
I am missing retaining nut and a tumbler? Another one is sticking out and doesn't have the spring that the other three have. What is my next step with getting this operable?
IMHO, if that's what you got, you do not have a lock missing parts. :confused: You have some lock parts. :(

Unless you have some compelling reason to try and make a lock out of that, you're better off replacing it. DIY stores have locks that will work (cabinet) for less than $10.

Rob H

Grasshopper
LOL, yeah, just looked over on eB at one and realized I was way off. haha
Been told that before, though (mostly by exes)!
Seriously, I couldn't tell from the pdf assembly picture what was what.
I'll look locally as the rusted one on eB was asking $19 shipped.
Thanks.
Anybody need parts....

roncar

OK, I looked back through the thread and it looks like the 'body' of the lock is still mounted in the trunk lid?

If that's the case:
1. do you have a key that will fit in the lock?
2. You need a machine screw that will fit the threads in the tumbler (that's the part that the key goes into.) This screw holds the lock together and attaches the locking lever.
3. The wafers need a spring if installed but you do not 'have to' have all 5 wafers. In fact some people remove ALL the wafers so anything can turn the lock (I personally wouldn't.) Just make sure the springs are removed for any missing wafers.
4. This was written for similar locks but the concept is the same. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11330

Rob H

Grasshopper
Yes and yes. Springs in only 3 slots. I'll see what I can match up at Ace Hd'wre tomorrow for the screw.
Is the lever measured from the square hole? I get 1 1/2" doing it this way. Lowe's has cam locks for $4.50 in stock but only see a 1 3/8" lever available. Unless they can be interchanged?

roncar

It would not bother me to use only 3 wafers. Trunks, bags, etc., are not hi security devices. If someone wants in, they will get in.

LOCKS JUST KEEP HONEST PEOPLE HONEST!

I wouldn't worry about the lever length, it's only 1/8" shorter. Using the existing lever, maybe. But you may have to modify it to fit.