Windjammer SS fairing turn signal / horn grills

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Built into the turn signal unit is a grill that I assume is where the air horn option would sit behind. If this option is not installed is there normally a blanking cover behind these grills or as mine just a piece of foam rubber to stop the water coming in?

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I never saw any foam pieces but when I got all of mine, they were kinda old. I do remember something about vent holes though.

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Found this picture that shows the grill holes quite well, just wondered what was normal to go inside the fairing to keep the water out.

grill.jpg

AspectOne

Grasshopper
I never noticed those on any of my WJ's, WOW gonna have to pay better attention lol;

Good spot for some LED's though?

Saxonplace

Vetter Aficionado
Here is a picture of the hole with the grill and turn indicator removed, if you were planning to mount something in there I measured the diameter and its just under 44mm.

SS air horn hole.JPG

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Oh it is most certainly for the horns, but of all the WJ SS, IV, and now the V that I have, the holes are just left open. I have never had that much of an issue of rain going in the hole to be quite honest. Even with the horn in place,there is still a gap between the horn and the fairing, so I guess rain could still get in, but I just never see anything wet inside, and that has even been after some pretty wet riding.

Last edited:

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
I was sure that I had read something on Craig's site about how he recommended addressing the holes. Here is what Craig says on his FAQ section:

Why are there the vent holes next to the turn signals on the Windjammer SS- 4 and 5?
They appear to be best for letting water and bugs into the interior of the fairing.

Craig answers: Actually, they were for letting the sound out when the owner had the optional horns mounted in there. Without the horns, the holes were blanked off with a tape membrane. No air... no bugs.

Pull the Lights out, out and tape off the holes with black duct tape and reinstall the lights. Check to be sure the lenses are secure. Some have been separating lately.

H

hjc4604

The horns were from Fiamm. They were pretty loud. I may still have mine in storage somewhere. My wife talked me into selling my Windjammer SS years ago but I recently got another for the 1982 Suzuki GS-1100G I acquired. Hope I can find them. I have been looking at the Stebel Air horn from Stebel-usa.com . I haven't heard one but it says it produces 139 dB.

H

hjc4604

Thanks! Now if only I can get to the point where I can ride without my legs cramping. If I find the Fiamm Horns, I'll post a photo. If I recall, They had a L shaped bracket with 2 nuts attached to one side of the L and the horn attache to the other to position them so the outlet faced the holes next to the turn signal. I also recall some black mesh in the fairing holes to keep out bugs .

Last edited by a moderator:

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
As far as duct tape over the fairing holes, I went with Gorilla Tape. The adhesive is much more aggressive than standard duct tape and has stood up to weathering where ever I have used it.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
It's easy to replicate that Fiamm Horn setup. Harbor Freight sells a set of Hi/Low tone Horns for $10. The set also comes with a relay but it will die soon if you try to use it. Buy a better relay at your local autoparts store and use that instead. Then you'll need to fabricate a couple of simple brackets that the horns bolt to and the Fairing. You'll also need to drill 4 holes in the fairing if they are not already drilled out. The fairing has 4 dimples that makes it easy to drill those holes. The brackets are just two 1" angle iron peaces with three 1/4-20 nuts tack welded to each bracket. Two holes that match the holes in the fairing and nuts are tacked on over them. Another hole is drilled on the other flat, a nut is tack welded over it, and the horn leaf spring is bolted to that one. Run a 16 gauge wire from the positive post on the battery to the relay contact terminal mounted where the stock horn was located. Connect the wires that were connected to the stock horn to the relay coil connections. Then connect 16 gauge from the other relay contact terminal to the unused fairing pigtail wire labelled Horn on the fairing wire diagram. Pick up that wire inside the fairing and connect it to one terminal on each of the two horns. Then run a 16 gauge wire from the other horn wire connection terminals on both horns and connect those to the pigtail ground wire. When you bolt the horns in make sure the flared part of the horn where the sound exits is pointed at the round holes. Also make sure they are not in direct contact with the Fairing. Those horns are mounted on a flexible spring so they can vibrate when the horn is blown so they should be free to move a little on that flat spring. Below is a duel horn wire diagram that will work fine. The stock horn wires on your bike will most likely be a different colour.
dhwiring.jpg

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Got the wiring down, been using a relay with the higher output horns mounted on the fairing mount for years. My problem is fingering out how the horns mount in the limited faring space without touching the fairing anywhere other than the mounting point, as any interference will fade the tone and output of the horn.