Windjammer V in Oslo, Norway.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Erling Weiseth, May 10, 2015.

1. Erling Weiseth

Erling Weiseth Grasshopper

Hi all! Erling from Oslo here. Nice to see so many active Vetter owners here! :D
    I'm currently rebuilding my Kawasaki GT750 P1 - all the way from bare frame, and at the same time, fixing my Windjammer V - ser.#63-123124. It has some cracks, mounting bracket is missing and sound system needs an antenna - or at least the rubber part on it. Bike was originally Sonic Gold with black/brown tank & fender decal, but I probably paint it black with gold trim here and there...for now.
    I've been talking to Andre at DiabloCycles(formerly Reproductiondecals.com) - he is reproducing striping kits for my fairing, and also some badges for Kawasaki Vetter.
    From craigvetter.com online store, I understand that I can get the decals made by Andre, the chrome edging, windshield, windshield foam tape & windshield plastic bolt kit and the Hotcha repair kit.
    Anyone know somewhere I can get mounting brackets? I know there are some available for the KZ750, but don't know if it will fit. Are the downward tubes on the two frames the same dimension, distance apart, angle against steering head? Probably not...
    If You have pictures, measurements or just any hardware for such an installation, please let me know.
    I might end up - as Mr.Vetter suggested, to fabricate the bracket myself. But a peek at other installations would be great help! So, a picture of a bracket for Windjammer V on an late seventy - early eighties Kawasaki 650-750 four bare frame, would be nice. My bike is the shaft drive model.
    I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't find out unless I ask...Thanks

#1 Erling Weiseth, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. brianinpa

brianinpa Five Star Vetteral

Can't help with the mount but Welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Erling Weiseth

Didn't think so, either....LOL They're hard to find! :mad:
    Thanks! Glad I found this site - hope to find some useful tips and things..:)

4. AVetterXS

AVetterXS Admin

Welcome to the forum Erling. I will keep an eye out for a mount. I have not seen one for a GT, it may be that you have to find the closest match and modify it, perhaps one of the KZ mounts will work.

You might drop a post in the wanted section, and if you have technical question feel free to post in our tech forums.

Post some pics of this beast!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Saxonplace

Saxonplace Vetter Aficionado

Hi
    This is the one I have made for my Z1000ST so will be similar, its a Windjammer mount with Rickman top bars welded onto it so the frame mounting points should help, if you can find a Rickman mount easier where you are you could drill the WJ to accept the front mounting points, the back ones are the same. The 2 bolts in the middle of the second picture attach to a bracket that clamps behind the frame of the bike the last picture is the welded frame painted and shows this plate, hope this helps.

DSCN0836.JPG

DSCN0837.JPG

DSCN0838.JPG

Rickman Vetter fairing mount unpainted 1.JPG

painted frame 1.JPG

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Erling Weiseth

Thanks a million! This is very helpful..;) Printing pictures now, and taking them to the garage after work today. :cheers
    ErlingW

7. Erling Weiseth

I will post pictures as I start mounting parts... And make complete build thread - from bare frame to finish. The bike was bought in bags and boxes. But I fell in love with these GTs as a kid, and when this one turned up, I just had to buy it!
    I must have had a serious Kawa attack that day, LOL :flush

8. Saxonplace

Saxonplace Vetter Aficionado

Look forward to seeing your progress, I have had my ST for over 30 years, current project is to be able to mount my Rickman Polaris and Windjammer SS using the same mounting frame so I can choose which one to use. Polaris is all sorted and now working on the SS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigT

BigT Grasshopper

Hi Erling,

Did you finish this project? I'm interested in a mounting bracket for a Windjammer on a GT750 too.