Odd Windjammer Bracket Mounting Surface

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
I bought this very clean Windjammer IV and discovered something odd. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this mounting surface. It looks as somebody cut the mounting surface then fabricated these metal plates that match up to exactly where the original holes are. I don't get it? What was their intention?

Ideas?

Bottom with odd brackets on....
windjammer_4_odd_bracket_mounting.jpg

Brackets off, see the way the cut the two original holes off?
windjammer_4_odd_bracket_mounting_off.jpg

Here are the brackets...
windjammer_4_odd_brackets.jpg

How it is should be. This is a more stock IV
windjammer_4_stock_bracket_mounting.jpg

roncar

I have bought 2 that were cut like that. Both were "Kawasaki by Vetter" fairings based on the Vindicator (Windjammer SS without the leading edge lights.) I needed the windshield, headlight and cycle sound for an SS fairing I was putting on my bike. I figured at the time, those cutout parts were relevant to Kawasakis so I trashed the shells after stripping usable parts.

001_e21c_1.JPG

001_e2b8_1.JPG

001_e2fc_1.JPG

21d4_1.JPG

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Well there you go. Thanks Ron! Whats crazy is the fairing that I have that fits that bracket is not a Kawasaki version is a Windjammer IV.

roncar

From Craig's website, there's no telling what was happening after he sold the company. Rebadged, not rebadged, coupled with 30+ years of PO modifications.....
I had sold Vetter by late 1978. By the time this fairing was being made by Vetter for Kawasaki, the company had been put into bankruptcy by the new owners. Bell - the helmet makers - took over and were probably running the show by then.
From the fairing serial number, this is indeed a Kawasaki Fairing made by Vetter. It looks like a rebadged Windjammer 5. I did not know they did that
Buying blind off craigslist or eBay is always a crap shoot. Never know what you'll get until you see it in person.

Terraplane Tom

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
From what I read and can tell, I bet the 1979 Kawasaki had some sort of difference, maybe a different size frame or tank, and the fairing need to be trimmed. That may explain why they need to mount the bracket in such an odd way, for clearance. Any thoughts?

roncar

I suspect the mounting was changed and the fairing trimmed for the 79 Kawasaki models. But if you were using the 'new' style fairing on an older (ie 78) bracket, the adapter plate was needed.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Yeah, that is what I am thinking. Now I have a real clean WindJammer IV that I will prob sell. I have the special brackets to make it work too!

Jomarh

Grasshopper
hello there.anybody have any of these parts laying around.I need the same type of parts to mount my Kawasaki Vindicator on the Honda I'm rebuilding.I guess I could make them. Don't really wanna make them. Let me know. Thanks again

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Jomarh, I have all the parts along with the fairing. They kinda go hand in hand. I would be happy to measure them out, or create templates for you. I want to keep the ones I have with the fairing, seeing that it is in good condition. Let me know how I can help.

Jomarh

Grasshopper
Hello everyone and I hope the summer is treating you all well. I'm still looking for a bracket adapter kit like in the thread above. I could never fabricate the brackets just right. So I'm looking for an adapter kit.. If anybody could help that'd be great.

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
From what I read and can tell, I bet the 1979 Kawasaki had some sort of difference, maybe a different size frame or tank, and the fairing need to be trimmed. That may explain why they need to mount the bracket in such an odd way, for clearance. Any thoughts?
Kawasaki by Vetter fairings were modified to clear the larger Gas Tank and required different mounting brackets for the fairing. An upper mounting bracket was also required. It bolted to a plate welded to the head tube and the lower 2 dimples that were drilled out for the in fairing dual horns mounting brackets. The shortened lower brackets did not fully support the fairing. It would flex way too much at high speeds and rough roads at any speed.
Here's a picture of the brackets used to mount a Kawasaki by Vetter fairing to a Kawasaki Motorcycle. The upper bracket is between the lower brackets. Also used was the long bracket that spanned the distance between the lower 2 right and left horn bracket holes.

s-l500.jpg

roncar

Hello everyone and I hope the summer is treating you all well. I'm still looking for a bracket adapter kit like in the thread above. I could never fabricate the brackets just right. So I'm looking for an adapter kit.. If anybody could help that'd be great.
As you have been working on this problem for a while now, I'd suggest expanding your search. Shipping on a fairing is expensive, but if you could find one locally (that you can pick up), they often can be got at good prices. Check craigslist, local salvage yards, eBay locally, or local bike shops to see what they have.

Jomarh

Grasshopper
Hello, and thanks for the info. I do already have a Kawasaki by Vetter fairing. as you can see in the photos in the prior post, part of the fairing was cut out to fit the Kawasaki frame. The two 90 degree angle pieces are what I have not been able to fabricate small enough to fit. The person with the fairing in the photos allowed me to Use his adapter Hardware to attempt to fabricate my own. This fairing would be going on vintage Honda that I already have a mounting bracket for. the pieces I still require are those 90 degree angle pieces with the extra Bend in the center. Maybe I can find them on eBay some day. Thanks for your help. Have a good day.

roncar

Just don't rule out another fairing, that is NOT cut for Kawasaki. This was a $5 fairing off eBay that was within driving distance.

51-1390149698-8f259cb19acf97bedfedd386f20af571.jpg

And it came out OK. You just have to watch and wait for the deals. Seller had $100 shipping in the auction, but when I asked he said local pickup was fine.

63-1390150223-8f0a03a32db8d6a8ee1c51e86431cc0d.jpg