1979 XS11 De-Vetterized

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Well, today was a sad day. I de-Vetterized my XS Eleven. I had to make a tough decision, however the outcome will be better for the now.

The wife and I are having another child, and he is due in May. For Aero, our last child we did a home birth and it was perfect, we are planning on doing the same thing this round. Things being tight, and having so many other projects sucking my funds up, I am going to need to sell my XS11. Unfortunately our great insurance here in the States doesn't cover crap, so I have to pay for the Midwife in full.

The good news is my Dad is interested in my XS, and I think he may buy it from me. He didn't want the Vetter goodies on it, so I pulled it all off (better for me :)). I did take it for a short spin, and I missed my Windjammer.

Here is my plan, I also have a 73 RD350 and a 58 Pannonia to sell, with these two sold, I plan on looking for 1978 GL1000. I would also like to look for a 1980 or 81 XS1100 Midnight Special, and I will put on a Windjammer V Nightstalker.

Here is the pics of it devolving.
1979_XS1100_09.jpg
1979_XS1100_08.jpg
1979_XS1100_03.jpg
1979_XS1100_07.jpg
1979_XS1100_06.jpg
1979_XS1100_04.jpg

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
Congrat in one respect, and regrets in another. But hey, as you stated, you can always replace it with something later. My personal opinion is that a 78 Wing would look better anyway.:D

:mob

Seriously though, the XS line looks great dressed or naked.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Last time I rode my Nighthawk without the Rooster on it (after fork-tube rebuild), it kept telling me "You have to finish putting the bike back together!"

My XS felt so naked and weird. I really missed my Windjammer fairing. Hot weather cold, weather, loved my Vetter.

rob.lafady

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Does this mean you'll have to change your screen name to AVetterWing? [emoji16] Congrats on the baby btw, and I do agree there is nothing like an XS and the Midnight Special is reallly nice!

roncar

Maybe AVetterGL?...
I was thinking just AVetter, But you don't have just "A" Vetter, you have lots of them.;)

"LotsOfVetterAndNoBikeToAttach" seems a little long for a name.:D

I'd just leave it as is, at least until/unless you make a future determination of 'never' owing an XS again.

rob.lafady

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I was thinking just AVetter, But you don't have just "A" Vetter, you have lots of them.;)

"LotsOfVetterAndNoBikeToAttach" seems a little long for a name.:D

I'd just leave it as is, at least until/unless you make a future determination of 'never' owing an XS again.
This reminds me of an old commercial for Yamaha where the Captain is telling his motorcycle officers how they are getting new Yamahas but they are on backorder. The department had already gotten rid of their old bikes and one officer asks what they're supposed to do in the mean time. Just then a speeding car zips by and the Captain looks at one of the officers and says, "go get him fred!" and the officer takes off running! I've always liked that commercial and my dad named his Yamaha guitar, Yamaha XS 11, and a carved bear Fred after it!

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
In 2014 around July I think, I de-Vetterized after riding behind my 'Jammer for a long time just to be out in the wind like the old days. I had the fairing back on the following week!
I do remove the lowers when the weather turns nice each year.