GL1100 clutch replacement - Q about center clutch nut

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
The front brakes locked up on my wing in the fast lane of a 4 lane highway last week...had to get out of the middle of the road, and basically destroyed my clutch trying to overcome the brakes. At least I think that's what I did. Pretty bummed about what happened; it was all pretty exciting, happened very fast and in retrospect maybe I'd have done thing differently...all water under the bridge at this point.

Took the clutch cover off and at this point I am waiting on the tool to remove the center nut that holds in the clutch assembly. Decided against the screwdriver/chisel trick. But I did notice that I can turn the center of the clutch by hand (more like with a vicegrip on the nut), and it spins with only a slight bit of resistance...even when the bike is in gear with the tire on the ground (regardless of whether it is in neutral or any gear, it feels the same). I would have expected that with the bike in gear, I would not be able to spin the clutch hub..not easily anyway. Anyway, I am awaiting the tool so I can see the condition of the clutch discs, but I am really troubled that I can spin the clutch center hub so easily. Does this sound like I have a much more serious problem, trans related for example?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
If I remember correctly, it took a little effort to keep everything from turning to remove that nut, so I think what you are seeing is normal. It was a few years ago that I removed my clutch though so I could be confused. Is the motor in or out of the frame?

Are you on the classicsgoldwings.com forum?

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
Thanks, Brian, motor is in the frame and the rear tire is on the ground (bike is on the sidestand); was a knuckle-buster to take the clutch cover off that way, but did it. I hope the center hub is supposed to turn relatively easy, but don't see how that would be right. Turning the bike over with the starter and the engine kill switch in the off position, the outer basket turns with the crank. I have the pressure plate and springs out, so the center hub does not spin along with the outer basket. But assuming the clutch is working properly and both outer basket and inner clutch hub "hook up", I'd assume the center hub turning is what transfers power to the trans and ultimately the rear wheel. So if it turns freely, how can that happen? Very confused..and worried. Will see what if any damage there is to the clutch plates when the tool comes and I get the center hub out to inspect them...but I am worried now that the problem is more serious.

I THINK I joined Classicgoldwings.com a while back..did not have much need to ask questions there...till now!

Last edited:

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
A will add the same update I provided on Goldwingfacts.com:

Little bit more info...only tried turning the center hub several degrees (as much as I could with a pair of vicegrips and what with the tight clearances under / in the center of the bike, maybe 20 degrees or so). I should have tried further...when I did by hand, I noted the the hub did finally "take up the slack" and stopped turning...I further noted with the oil plug out, that the final drive gear (I guess that is what its called) started turning. When put in a higher gear, there was less slack, and I even got the tire / entire bike to move a bit when turning the center clutch hub with the vicegrips.

So maybe I'll be lucky and it is indeed just the clutch...will provide an further update when I have one to give.

aliensatemybuick

Vetter Aficionado
As an update, I bought a used clutch on Ebay from a low mileage bike (less than 30K). I would have bought a set of new clutch discs, but was not sure that was the only thing I damaged. I figured if nothing else, this would allow me to troubleshoot the bike...and for $28 shipped, I could not pass up buying the full clutch assembly. I replaced everything but the outer clutch basket, and I am happy to report after a short test ride that the bike is working perfectly! I'll be changing the oil before taking it out again.

Being that it was my Dad's old bike, I was pretty bummed out that I may have really damaged it; now I am beyond happy to know that I didn't. It's the little things in life...