Sidecar Manual by Hal Kendall

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Just thought I would post this Sidecar Manual that covers all aspects of Sidecar building, mounting, adjusting, and operation. It should be very handy when attaching a Terraplane Sidecar to any bike, vintage or modern.
This PDF file is too large to upload it here so here's the link.

http://motolulka.ru/manuals/bibl_sidecart.pdf

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I downloaded it last summer and found it to be a great read. Made me think about things I would never have considered. Thanks for posting the link. Mike

doubledutch

Grasshopper
hey mike, i see u r on line, do u have a terraplane by chance? and if so any suggestions on a straight up bolt on replacement shock absorber? there is a good thread using an air shock, but would prefer one without any modifications needed, thx cvh

doubledutch

Grasshopper
hey scott, i see u r on line, do u have a terraplane by chance? and if so any suggestions on a straight up bolt on replacement shock absorber? there is a good thread using an air shock, but would prefer one without any modifications needed, thx cvh

Scott-E

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
hey scott, i see u r on line, do u have a terraplane by chance? and if so any suggestions on a straight up bolt on replacement shock absorber? there is a good thread using an air shock, but would prefer one without any modifications needed, thx cvh
I do not have a Sidecar right now and certainly not a Terraplane.
Back in the early 80's I was in the U.S. Navy. I was a Gas Turbine Systems Tech (GSE 4115). Most of my time was spent operating and maintaining the Ships Electrical Power System. When we pulled into Subic Bay Philippines for a 2 week yard period I was given the choice of working some crummy job on Base or volunteering that 2 weeks working with the Philippine Military. I went with the Philippine Military. It turned out to be a great choice. They assigned a Young Philippine Army Sargent to me and our job was going out to small villages to help them with their Community Power Generators. We both were issued Chinese Chang Jiang (BMW Copy) Motorcycles with Sidecars. The Motorcycles and Sidecars were fitted with tool boxes and tools. We also had a couple of Sea Bags with clothing and necessities we would need for those 2 weeks of field work. We helped those communities rebuild their worn out generators and helped with power distribution running through the Villages. We were treated like Royalty by those Villagers. We stayed in the nicest homes and fed very well. Riding those Chang Jiang's with Sidecars around the Philippines was a lot of fun as well. It was so much fun I felt like I should have paid for those 2 weeks. Thankfully we never had to sleep in the Pup Tent we were issued. It was a cruel joke as all it consisted of was two peaces of 8 X 10 Tarp and some rope.
ebay_281957295166_1.jpg

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hi Doubledutch, Yes I do have a Terraplane and enjoy it very much. I believe it has the original shock on it which might be a Monroe based on what I have read on the Yahoo groups sight for Terraplanes. There is a wealth of information there from postings over the last ten plus years. If you go to "conversations" you will then be able to search for "shock" and you will see many previous postings. Seems like early GL1000 shocks or CB550 shocks have been used as well as Suzuki 1100 shocks from late seventies as replacements. When I take off my wheel to grease the bearings next time, I will have a good look at the shock and see if I can find for sure what brand it was and what model number. I have never been able to figure out how to easily print the 2200 messages that are on that sight. I would like to have a hard copy of those messages in case that group disappears along with all the messsages. Could that happen - I don't know. Have you been to that forum yet? Mike

Mike324

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Hi Doubledutch again, I may have missed your introduction. The CBX and Terraplane pictured is your set-up? Very nice! Do you have more pictures? Mike

doubledutch

Grasshopper
Scott just saw your reply and neat pic of your rig? and fun memories of your side car introduction, thx cvh
I do not have a Sidecar right now and certainly not a Terraplane.
Back in the early 80's I was in the U.S. Navy. I was a Gas Turbine Systems Tech (GSE 4115). Most of my time was spent operating and maintaining the Ships Electrical Power System. When we pulled into Subic Bay Philippines for a 2 week yard period I was given the choice of working some crummy job on Base or volunteering that 2 weeks working with the Philippine Military. I went with the Philippine Military. It turned out to be a great choice. They assigned a Young Philippine Army Sargent to me and our job was going out to small villages to help them with their Community Power Generators. We both were issued Chinese Chang Jiang (BMW Copy) Motorcycles with Sidecars. The Motorcycles and Sidecars were fitted with tool boxes and tools. We also had a couple of Sea Bags with clothing and necessities we would need for those 2 weeks of field work. We helped those communities rebuild their worn out generators and helped with power distribution running through the Villages. We were treated like Royalty by those Villagers. We stayed in the nicest homes and fed very well. Riding those Chang Jiang's with Sidecars around the Philippines was a lot of fun as well. It was so much fun I felt like I should have paid for those 2 weeks. Thankfully we never had to sleep in the Pup Tent we were issued. It was a cruel joke as all it consisted of was two peaces of 8 X 10 Tarp and some rope.
ebay_281957295166_1.jpg