Therapy - Wrenching or riding

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Paper towel and electrical tape - I'm thinking of a new range of goodies, named Workshop Choice, which will contain all the Drawers Full O' Crap that yield stuff like that.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
I prefer to ride.Working on the bike used to be fun but now..not so much.I do the routine stuff,tighten nuts bolts check tire pressures,lights,oil but rebuilding the front end,setting the valves etc. just isn't sexy any more. When I put the fairing on last time I guess I didn't get one bolt tight and kinda cracked the plastic around the bolt hole.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
I'm with you.
My least enjoyable task is to R&R the fuel tank, checking carb float levels and valve clearance.
My most fulfilling tasks are oil / lube, checking tire pressure and syncing the carbs.
What I’m not looking forward to after 37 years is a weepy oil pan gasket.

roncar

...My least enjoyable task is to R&R the fuel tank...
I'm with you on that! Being under the seat on a Goldwing, and comes out where the rear wheel is, not fun.:(:mad::confused:
101_0337.jpg

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Gee, I was under the impression the gas went IN the seat. Nuk-nuk.
When the GLs came out, I lusted for one like I was in heat. Wait-a-second, at that age I was always in heat.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
Gee the XS 11 is simple compared to that.
Even a moderately competent rider can keep an XS11 up and on the road as long as ebay has parts. The XS was the first street bike with transistorized ignition. Mine has not been touched except for plugs and to ensure the mechanical and vacuum advance were working properly. I could today tune a points/condenser ignition but I have not needed to in 30+ years.

steppenwolf

Vetter Master
Primary wires three times,glass to spade fuse box,78 thousand clean carbs,cam chain at 78 thousand a few other things but over all been trouble free.

XS11JAMMERIII

Learning the Ropes
I'm with you.
My least enjoyable task is to R&R the fuel tank, checking carb float levels and valve clearance.
My most fulfilling tasks are oil / lube, checking tire pressure and syncing the carbs.
What I’m not looking forward to after 37 years is a weepy oil pan gasket.

As it turned out, it was not a weepy oil pan gasket but a leaky starter motor "O" ring. Things like that get to leaking with age, trust me, I know.