Considering this Vetter GL

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
So,

Being an XS fellow pretty much my entire existence, my knowledge on the GL's is minimal.

This GL is a 120 miles away from me. I know there are some GL fans on here, can somebody let me know if this looks like a good bike to consider?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-...6dc5e584:g:NIAAAOSwA3tXomss&item=182230312324

1979-GL1000-eBay.jpg

roncar

That looks as close to what you are looking for as you are likely to find. Even though it is a '79 instead of a '78, there were 'few' (mostly cosmetic) differences between the two. I think Honda was concentrating their efforts on the GL1100 that was released for the 1980 model year.
1978-GL-main.jpg

From what I can see in the auction description, I would expect to pay somewhere between the opening bid and the BIN ($1500-$2750) for a bike that is near OEM and ready to ride. So his price is on target, not a bargain nor drug induced over priced.

An owner of any bike of this age, will need to:
1. know how to work on it,
2. learn how to work on it, or
3. know someone who can.
Don't count on your Honda dealership to be very helpful, YRMV.

Here is a page of helpful information on buying and maintaining old wings (and there are others.) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Alan 63

Learning the Ropes
Country flag
That looks very good, information in repairs for those old GL' s should be easy to find !
Alan

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Thank you both for the information. Looking forward to getting back on a Vetter. I'll keep you posted!

rob.lafady

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Beautiful bike! Love the color too! There are lots of mods you can do if needed....or even if they're not

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

roncar

Off the top of my head....

turn signals are rectangular on 79, round on 78 (and their attachment is different.)
front brake reservoir is rectangular on 79, round on 78.
spokes on the comstar wheels are different.
tail light is larger on the 79 and has 2 bulbs instead of the 1 on the 78.
not cosmetic but the front brake caliper piston and bore are different.

Other than that, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference (especially after 35 years of P.O.'s changing parts around.)