Pantera II Vetter copy

Discussion in 'Non-Vetter Bikes, Fairings, & Projects' started by Dave Ireland, Oct 22, 2015.

1. AVetterXS

AVetterXS Admin

You might send him a PM via Conversation. Folks can miss a post.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave Ireland

Dave Ireland Vetter Aficionado

I've been looking at the Skidmarks site and wondered if it were the same one - they're a bit sparse on detail. Price isn't too bad, though.
    As far as memory serves, the Renaults that used those lights were the R10, 12 and some 16s. They were outstanding, but sold greviously short as they were fitted with 45W tungsten bulbs. At the time (and still) you could get halogen bulbs with the P45(?) base to fit the lamps, which made a huge difference and turned the headlights into the class-leaders they always should have been. At the time, halogen bulbs were still quite expensive and most owners either didn't know about this tweak or simply didn't bother because of the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barry3314

Barry3314 Grasshopper

4. Barry3314

Barry3314 Grasshopper

You mentioned about the radio hump in the fairing. This is the lockable cover that goes over the radio. I also paid for the manual headlight adjuster, which sat on the right hand side just below the side cover, and a pair of top class Cibie spot lights which were mounted just under the side light/indicators, mirrors. Looked the same as the despatch bike in an earlier post. Pantera also colour matched to the deep burgundy of my GL1100. All in all I seem to remember it costing about £500 - £600. The wiring connector is still available from RS electronics. Just bought a new one. A few repairs to be done where some theiving toe rag ripped the spot lights out in about 1990 but will soon be going back on my Goldwing which is now a trike. Will put a picture up when its done

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dave Ireland

Now, I didn't know about the radio cover. They'll be like hens' teeth nowadays though, but now I know what it looks like, I might spot something at an autojumble or ebay.
    The other handy things are the instrument moulded blank spots - no need to buy an additional console for them.
    There must be more Pantera IIs out there, as I suspect it sold reasonably well, compared to the imported price of the Vetters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Barry3314

Barry3314 Grasshopper

View attachment 2179
    Finally took a photo of it at a trike rally last weekend. Forgot to mention it has a headlight adjuster on the lower right panel of the console. Looks quite smart if I do say so myself :) BTW2016(1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dave Ireland

That's very nice, indeed.
    Goldies and Vetters / Goldies and Panteras just went together so naturally.

I've just been offered an RT-faired Beemer, so that puts the Pantera-on-the-XJ to the back burner for a while, as the Beemer will be the perfect winter bike for me. I'll get around to the Pantera eventually though, as I want to have the XJ all-weather ready should I need it to be, and the little half-fairing, while good over 95mph, isn't much use in the cold and rain, and certainly not at that speed in the winter.

8. Barry3314

Barry3314 Grasshopper

Now converted back to a solo with an LED headlight conversion and LED marker lights in the fairing. Toured France towing a trailer with in in October 2017. :)
    Wing solo.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dave Ireland

Right, that's a very appealing combination.
    I've been caught on the hop this winter, with some top-end work needing done to the GS and the XJ is woefully inadequate in this weather. Seeing yours has lit the fire again, and the Pantera is definitely going on the XJ. Handily enough, the Pantera paint is in good order and just the right colour - black, to match the bike.
    The Beemer I was offered fell through, so that's out of the picture now. I'm in the ridiculous situation of four bikes sitting here and only two running, and of them only one is faired at all, and quite inadequately at that.
    Next winter will be different. :)