Mirrors on Windjammers

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
For those on this side of the pond, I've just discovered that the universal Tex Door Mirror, as was fitted to millions of British cars since the 60s, 70s and 80s, is a perfect fit for the Windjammer.
It's not intuitive - you have to start with a pair of door mirrors with the optional angled mounts on the bases, then swap the heads over, left head to right stem, and vice versa.
After that, they'll fit the fairing nicely, screwed into position at the front upper, where there's an ideal space for them on both sides, and be in the perfect position without being full of arm or elbow.
http://texautomotive.com/classic_exterior_mirrors.html
Mirror M68990 and 68991 - the angled base or 'Plinth Kit' is 99987
M68990.jpg

M68991.jpg

M99987.jpg

These are available used for as little as a fiver the pair. Mirror glasses are still available and in no shortage, since they were an industry standard for years, and still well established.

brianinpa

Five Star Vetteral
Country flag
That looks like it will work. I really like having my mirrors mounted on the fairing. It offers a completely different view of what is happening behind me.

237-1401321580-1f2b23a38750671f39aec9b25c7488b6.jpg

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
I was going for a set of Goldies after I saw yours, then realised the answer was at my fingertips already.
Got them fitted last night and went for a jaunt this afternoon. They turn out to be just right - not sticking out much and clearing my arms perfectly. The LH one needs a new glass, and I think I'll get a set of convex glasses for them.

tyS79F0.jpg

cnsAirN.jpg

dQjxZBf.jpg

As daylight faded into dusk and proper night I got the opportunity to see the Koito headlamp perform, also. That's turned out to be a worthwhile fitment too - fitted as standard to Mitsubishi Pajeros and Shoguns of the late 80s / early 90s and a bit of an unsung hero. There's a guy on candlepower reckons it's right up there with the Cibie Z-Beam, but I don't think I'd go that far - it's good, at least.

Kynan C.

Admin
Country flag
Those look pretty darn cool Dave. The mounting position is a bit different then Brian's. How is the viewing?

Larry Fine

Country flag
I found a few US distributors of the TEX mirrors above. If you change the middle digit of the mirror model number from 9 to 8, you get the convex version.

Dave Ireland

Vetter Aficionado
Country flag
Those look pretty darn cool Dave. The mounting position is a bit different then Brian's. How is the viewing?
It's pretty good, but could benefit from the convex glass. As a door mirror, they were always a bit closer to the eye, and while they show enough as they are, it could be more. Not really a problem, as I always extend my mirror reach by moving my head around a bit to scan more of the view.

Coalpilot

Grasshopper
That looks like it will work. I really like having my mirrors mounted on the fairing. It offers a completely different view of what is happening behind me.

237-1401321580-1f2b23a38750671f39aec9b25c7488b6.jpg
I like this. And since they are already big bike mirrors, the view behind should be spot on. I'm def putting them on mine. I'd like to know where you got the chrome windshield trim...Did you have it made? The blackout is kinda cool yet a little odd. You kept it even with the fairing but maybe a little lower would look better. I will cut some mockups and experiment.